Cloudbusting moments

When I started this blog I was thinking of my life in the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, Victoria, Australia. I have since come to realise that life is a series of hills of varying topographical detail; some a barely bumps, others are the hill climb of the Tour de France that the faint-heartened never approximate. I have also come to appreciate the distinct advantage of setting hills in my sights with the aim of seeing life from the other side with a raised heart-rate. My 'comfort-zone' exists to be busted, and I intend to continue venturing far away and beyond my comfort-zones for as long as I have a reason to live. From the foothills of the Dandenongs to the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, and still cloudbusting, I hope. It's what I want my kids to do, so I'd better show them a bit about how it's done, and how to push up and over the hills they'd otherwise avoid...

Tuesday 9 September 2008

Lazy days post-Ireland/London trip


My birthday, in February, and Tom took us to Micawber Park Tavern for lunch, then a little walk through the forest. It was hot, humid weather, with some drizzle around, so it was lovely and misty on the mountain. However, my arch-enemy, the Leech, was out in force and after near-hyperventilation on my part, we turned back. But not before taking some cute photos of Boy on the rest stop benches provided.

A walk along the Puffing Billy platform brought my breath back and kept Boy very happy, indeed. The drivers were happy to wave at him repeatedly, even though they didn't move anywhere for about 10 minutes. Some of the more conservative tourists may have been a little worried about Tom's treatment of Boy. Until they would have heard the mad, giggling laughter.

I decided to mark my birthday quietly and just have a BBQ at my parents' house, and invite the newly married people, Sharleen and Rory. Boy is wearing the shirt that his grand-aunt Maura gave him before we left Ireland.

It wasn't long before Boy would decide to try out the pool temperature. Yes, fully clothed and shod.

This is at the park around the corner, and Boy decided he was big enough and co-ordinated enough to give this bit of play equipment a go. Concentrating hard.

We went to visit my wonderful friends, Pier and Sheryl, one fine afternoon. We talked about their planned trip to Africa (they are there now, lucky buggers!) and just plain-old caught up. Sheryl is helping Boy work the old vacuum hose 'telephone', and it wasn't long before Boy ended up in their saved shower water bucket. Pretty predictable, really. Pier and I bonded at Pearson Education, where we both once worked. Pier now is a fabulous freelance designer extraordinaire, and I...well, I don't work in publishing anymore! I love our catch ups and I don't like the gaps between them - life, sigh...

This is kid and daddy, having a breather at Sandy Point, where we'd spent the weekend with my Challenge comrades, Sarah (Nathan and bump in tow) and Kerry. Tom was very ill this weekend, actually - he ate a dodgy sausage mere hours before leaving for Sandy Point and I had to take over driving after he and sausage parted ways.

This must be after we got home from the Sandy Point weekend, cos Boy's wearing the same clothes. Anyway, he had decided to check out Daddy's handy work on the stumps under the house. And brought out half the dry soil with him. Cheers, kiddo - do your own bloody washing!

Oooh, this was fun. We go away every Labour Day weekend for the State Urban Fire Brigade Championships. This year was at Swan Hill and we decided to catch the VLine there. First of all, Boy was sick of being strapped in cars after the Ireland road trip experience. Second, in a train he can walk around, and it's just painful to have to keep stopping in a car to let him stretch his legs. Third, he loves Choo Choos. Lastly, we did some homework to suss out that our motel was right across the road from the train station, on the shopping strip (yay!) and an invigorating walking to the track. The train trip was great - I did some reading, some sleeping and we ate our snacks together. We don't do enough 'family time' away from home, so this was nice!

Oh, man - it was 40 degrees on average, the kid deserves an icecream!

Our last moments before leaving beautiful Swan Hill, at the park on the River.

No comments: