Cloudbusting moments

When I started this blog I was thinking of my life in the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, Victoria, Australia. I have since come to realise that life is a series of hills of varying topographical detail; some a barely bumps, others are the hill climb of the Tour de France that the faint-heartened never approximate. I have also come to appreciate the distinct advantage of setting hills in my sights with the aim of seeing life from the other side with a raised heart-rate. My 'comfort-zone' exists to be busted, and I intend to continue venturing far away and beyond my comfort-zones for as long as I have a reason to live. From the foothills of the Dandenongs to the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, and still cloudbusting, I hope. It's what I want my kids to do, so I'd better show them a bit about how it's done, and how to push up and over the hills they'd otherwise avoid...

Tuesday 9 September 2008

Better late than never...this was us in London, 7 months ago!

Well, this is the London leg of our trip. We stayed in Earl's Court, a minute walk from the West Brompton Cemetery, where Emmeline Pankhurst is interred - note the purple flowers, as she was the pioneer of the suffragette movement. Also, Beatrix Potter got her character names from tombstones here!
We visited the Tower of London and Boy spent most of this trip with his head inclined upwards pointing at the contrails, cos Her Majesty seems to have built all her residences under flight paths. Why would anyone do that?
We caught the train to Windsor and this trip was the highlight, possibly of my entire year. I was on cloud nine and didn't want to leave.
As all 5 days of our stay saw blue sky and sunshine to keep the February chill off, we eschewed the galleries and museums we had planned and walked around instead. We walked through St James Park a couple of times, as well as Hyde Park, where Tom and Boy had a romp one evening.
We walked all around, from St Paul's Cathedral (photo of Tom at the doors to illustrate size of said doors!), down the Strand and Fleet Street and found ourselves in Lincoln's Inn and contained gardens. It's only since recently reading CJ Sansom's Matthew Shardlake books (two down, two to go) that I've realised the significance of this area and I'm really glad I took the time to photograph some of the chimney and window detail of these buildings. They are picturesque and charming.
We stayed in a very average 'hotel', the Sara Hotel, but that was ok, because we only used it to sleep in and given our location, we couldn't really complain too much to have a simple brekky and sheets changed every day...some places are even worse and charge more!
The London Tube is a real treat - it's efficient and gets you close to the interesting things. Boy sure does love Choo Choos ever since London - he's too young to notice how poxy our Melbourne Connex system is in unfavourable comparison, poor love...
The changing of the guard was...ceremonial...and slow. Big crowds and we were really glad we were there in the 'off' season! I did notice, however, that on the other side of VR, on the fountain in front of Buckhingham abode, that there was an effigy of a younger woman breastfeeding her child. I had to photograph it not only out of my advocacy for breastfeeding, but because of the irony of the image. It's only recent that public breastfeeding had been officially decriminalised and HOW long had this statue been there, greeting the guests and residents of Bucko?? Open your minds, people!! The law, apparently, only allows public breastfeeding of children up to 6 months of age, so I suppose I risked a black mark on my passport by feeding Boy, happily, whilst visiting this 'enlightened' country. Anyway, I was thoroughly pleased to notice it. Boobs rule!
We were sad to leave, as we loved London and reckon that when we come into a large sum of money one day, we will make the trip to England a much longer one, where we can catch trains across the countryside to other great English centres steeped in history and literature!
Boy was really, really great on the flights - nothing like booby milk to keep a kid happy and quiet!

No comments: