Cloudbusting moments

When I started this blog I was thinking of my life in the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, Victoria, Australia. I have since come to realise that life is a series of hills of varying topographical detail; some a barely bumps, others are the hill climb of the Tour de France that the faint-heartened never approximate. I have also come to appreciate the distinct advantage of setting hills in my sights with the aim of seeing life from the other side with a raised heart-rate. My 'comfort-zone' exists to be busted, and I intend to continue venturing far away and beyond my comfort-zones for as long as I have a reason to live. From the foothills of the Dandenongs to the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, and still cloudbusting, I hope. It's what I want my kids to do, so I'd better show them a bit about how it's done, and how to push up and over the hills they'd otherwise avoid...

Sunday 1 May 2011

Ponies and potties

Winter approaches and this week could have fooled me! It was sunny and mild all week - great horse riding weather (apart from some wind earlier, with which the horses were picking up on far away noises, giving rise to some toey behaviour under saddle...) and great for getting things done.
After driving all of Good Friday to Bendigo and Kilmore en route, we've chosen two ponies who are coming to our home very shortly. A beautiful Welsh mare was on offer and we had to pass her over for a cute little Australian Pony - not as beautiful, but more educated and, well, cheaper. I was already reconciled to the idea of breaking in a pony from scratch, but this little pony, Karedon Mia, has already had some time under saddle and passed the Small Boy test. With her comes a 2yo Shetland gelding that will be started from scratch, and that will be fun. My kids are so lucky and they'll never know just how so. They'll learn so much from the horses.
Meanwhile, on the Elimination Communication front, Small Girl is now effectively night-continent. I won't say she's 'sleeping through', because I can't quite figure out what that means. She will go to sleep in the evening, might wake up and need to do a wee and then stir for a breastfeed once or twice in the night. She'll begin wriggling between 6 and 7 and do a long wee. How cool is that? She's 18.5 months old and hasn't worn a nappy in months! We went to NZ for 11 days and nary a nappy was used, though three were packed and served to take up valuable suitcase space. As with her brother when he went nappy-free (at about two years of age, but not night-continent till 6 months after that), it's easier for now to keep her out of undies. So, she's either getting about the farm with no pants on, or I take her out in longer dresses or in pants with no undies. The 'training pants' I bought are just an unwieldy extra step that her little hands can't deal with, and if she's wearing a dress with them, she forgets and will pull up her dress to wee...in the training pants. So, I'll dispense with them for now. She can 'hold on' for an impressive time, too. Those doubters who told me fervently that children can't control their bladders till after 2 years of age need to ditch the conventional wisdom of nappying and broaden their horizons, because Small Girl is following the normal trajectory of EC'd kids (if not a bit later, actually - not sure why, maybe it was the 'just in case' nappies she wore for about 6 months when she could have come out of them and learned sooner - but we didn't have the luxury of living in our own home with our own tolerances to consider). I'm reaping the pay-off, as I only have to leave the house with my normal bag. Except these days the wipes and spare clothes in the car are for her motion sickness...ideas about tackling this are welcome. Thumbs up for Elimination Communication!

No comments: