Cloudbusting moments

When I started this blog I was thinking of my life in the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, Victoria, Australia. I have since come to realise that life is a series of hills of varying topographical detail; some a barely bumps, others are the hill climb of the Tour de France that the faint-heartened never approximate. I have also come to appreciate the distinct advantage of setting hills in my sights with the aim of seeing life from the other side with a raised heart-rate. My 'comfort-zone' exists to be busted, and I intend to continue venturing far away and beyond my comfort-zones for as long as I have a reason to live. From the foothills of the Dandenongs to the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, and still cloudbusting, I hope. It's what I want my kids to do, so I'd better show them a bit about how it's done, and how to push up and over the hills they'd otherwise avoid...

Tuesday 5 October 2010

Was good...REAL good

Hark ye your minds back to a previous post I made about signing up for eight Zumba classes (via Jump On It). Well, tonight I bit the bullet, told the household I wouldn't be sitting down to dinner with them, for I had need to be elsewhere for an evening of group exercise at Fernwood.
First of all, I have to mention to you how beautiful Fernwood is. What a lovely environment to enter for one's fitness needs! No smell of man sweat, no know-it-all-about-weight-machines people hanging around specifically to have you feeling decidedly inadequate and way out of your league, and if I decide to do the Friday morning class, I could have a shower AND breakfast. I just wish there were a Fernwood in South Gippsland I could join...ach, well, the local gym offering Zumba will have to suffice.
So, back on topic. Zumba is a nice workout, indeed. It felt like the old clubbing days on my body, and like a collection of women assembling for a fun way to maintain general health and wellbeing in my head. It started out with some basic moves for the beginners in the class (hand up!) and progressed into more wiggly moves. I'm up for wiggly moves...it's the wiggling and then the moving sideways in a preordained fashion that I struggle with, and that also spelled the very quick end to my aerobics life, way back when I used to hold gym memberships (and actually used them, too). However, the latin grooves playing provided that little bit of inspiration to get my act together and give the coordination caper a red hot go. And I did. Give it a red hot go, that is. The coordination I will have to report back on, as sometimes I had it, and other times I lost it. Smiling all the way, though. I had to be careful with my foot and leg placement, as a few times I felt the familiar twinge in my pelvis, from my Symphisis Pubis Disfunction, and I had to modify my steps.
Zumba is FUN. Yes, I've only had one class, and if the first one has me feeling fantastic and wanting to find another 45 minutes in an already packed week to get to the Friday class, then it's gotta be a good thing, yeah? Yeah. That's what I thought :)

2 comments:

Narelle said...

Great work! I'm too scared to try Zumba (if, on the remote chance, I would actually enter a gym ;)) My attempts at Step years ago left me a tad traumatised! Coordinated person I am not lol!

Lirio Jaguar said...

Ahhh, see, that's why I am doing Zumba - it's a lot more free and wiggly! I nearly broke an ankle trying Step and aerobics was just too rigid in its moves - Zumba comes a LOT more naturally cos of the club dancing days!