Cloudbusting moments

When I started this blog I was thinking of my life in the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, Victoria, Australia. I have since come to realise that life is a series of hills of varying topographical detail; some a barely bumps, others are the hill climb of the Tour de France that the faint-heartened never approximate. I have also come to appreciate the distinct advantage of setting hills in my sights with the aim of seeing life from the other side with a raised heart-rate. My 'comfort-zone' exists to be busted, and I intend to continue venturing far away and beyond my comfort-zones for as long as I have a reason to live. From the foothills of the Dandenongs to the foothills of the Strzelecki Ranges, and still cloudbusting, I hope. It's what I want my kids to do, so I'd better show them a bit about how it's done, and how to push up and over the hills they'd otherwise avoid...

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Something Fishy


Today I was woken by a boy calling out to me, saying him and Benny were having a bath.
Having gone to bed the previous night at midnight with the fuzziest head, after a weekend of small girl with a high temperature over two nights and having nursed a cold all week myself, I stayed on in bed when I heard Boy-child stir. We had no appointments or engagements, so why not?
This is why not: Benny is a fish.
Benny was flipping around in the shallow bath water after he had been plucked out of his small tank, which sits on the window ledge outside the laundry.
This fish was plucked out of my parents' dam at their small acreage in East Gippsland, so the poor fish is already a displaced citizen and missing its school of fish, never mind having to deal with being boy-handled for the purposes of having a BATH.
He's recovering now and his scales look like they're in shock still. He may not make it. Assuming he's a he and not a she. If s/he does, it looks like we'll be transporting him back from whence he came. For his own safety and longevity. I don't think s/he'll mind!
PS. does anyone know what kind of fish it is? It was teeny when he was plucked from the dam and almost translucent, we have no idea what breed it is!

1 comment:

Lulu said...

I dunno about Benny but that boy of yours is waaaay funny.